Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Happy July!

We don't have a lot to say for an update, we are slowly moving along.  Yesterday I sent in our finalized home study for Poland to complete our USCIS application. Then we will get federal approval to adopt from Poland. That is the next big thing, and the last piece of our dossier. I am eager for this to be out of our hands and get the dossier to Poland! Hopefully soon.

Here is a video I just watched about orphanages vs. family care in Cambodia. It gives me great comfort to know that Poland is moving towards a foster care system for children. I hope that it is a successful, positive foster care system with appropriate checks and balances. The idea of foster care is lovely, but the system in the U.S. is far from perfect. Maybe Poland can benefit from learning from our mistakes?
It's shocking that in Cambodia, only 23% of children in orphanages are actually orphans (both parents have died). The rest are orphans by circumstance and hardship.




Please also see this post that an adoptive friend of mine wrote... pretty sums up about how I have been feeling lately.

http://jovialstateofmind.blogspot.ca/2014/07/why-debates-regarding-ethics-or.html

While I like the idea of helping children stay with the family, I want to be clear that this is only a good idea if the family truly wants this, can find the support, and that it is in the best interest if the child in terms of safety, access to food and clean water, etc. This is not a clear cut issue by far. Some mothers really feel that it is in the best interest of their child to be with an adoptive family-- and this should be okay and supported.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the link up!!
    Such an interesting video. I did not know about this in Cambodia. Thanks for shedding light :)
    While in Ukraine I read Orphan Justice by Johny Carr. One of my favorite lines: Man made orphanages for children, but God made the family for children.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope it was okay to give your blog post a blast! :) Thanks for the book recommendation! I will check it out.

    ReplyDelete